History

The history of the Cataraqui Trail starts back in the 1800’s with the construction of a number of railways in eastern Ontario. Following deregulation of the railway industry in Canada, CN has abandoned or sold many former branch lines in recent decades, and over time rails and ties were removed and parts of the rights of way sold off. The section of this line was sold to the Cataraqui Conservation Authority in 1998. The following articles provide and overview of the creation of the Cataraqui Trail and the history of the now-defunct railways in the area some of which now form corridors for public use.

Rail to Trail      Historic Railways

 

RockCut-Cat trail

Building the Grand Trunk Railway near Chaffey’s Locks

Page 1 of 11