The following users are allowed to use the Cataraqui Trail:
- Walkers including hikers, joggers, naturalists and bird watchers.
- Cyclists – due to the gravel or rough surface, a 2 inch tire is recommended.
- Horseback riders.
- Snowmobilers with a current Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs trail permit.
- Cross-country skiers.
- Trail maintenance crews and emergency personnel and their vehicles.
- Other than snowmobiles in season and electrically assisted bicycles all other motorized vehicles are prohibited. ATV’s, dirt bikes, and golf carts must NOT be on the Cataraqui Trail.
Guidelines for the use of the Cataraqui Trail:
- Respect the privacy of people living beside the trail.
- Hunting on trail property is prohibited.
- Respect and obey all trail signs.
- Keep dogs on a leash at all times.
- Don’t litter, and do clean up after pets and horses.
- Take nothing but photographs.
- Leave plants and flowers for others to enjoy.
- Protect and do not disturb wildlife.
- Because people use the trail both on foot and on wheels, alert slower-moving users to your presence, slow down, and proceed with caution as you pass them (usually on the left).
- Cross-country skiers should yield the track and snowmobilers should pass them at low speed.
The administration and management of the Trail by the CTMB will conform as closely as possible to the CRCA Policy and the Regulations filed as R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 99: CONSERVATION AREAS – CATARAQUI REGION on December 18, 1998 (or as subsequently amended), as made under Section 29 of the Conservation Authorities Act; this also recognizes, and commits to upholding, the offences for Conservation Areas that are proscribed under the set fines Schedule 2 of the Provincial Offences Act.
- Conservation Authorities Act: www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c27
- Registered Regulations of Ontario 99: Conservation Areas – Cataraqui Region: www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900099
- Schedule 2 – Conservation Areas Set Fines under the Provincial Offences Act: www.ontariocourts.ca/ocj/files/setfines/changes/2012/schedule-2-2012-10-22.pdf